My daughter is in the process of stretching her ears, and at the moment she's resting at an 8g, which is 3mm.She plans to stretch up to a 2g, which is 6mm. She asked me if was possible to turn some earrings, and I thought I'd give it a go with some scraps from my box.
Starting with some fun acrylic squares in a medley of colours, I started to round the square edges, while my daughter took all the pictures.
Here it is on the lathe, with the router coming in to shave off another half millimetre of acrylic. This is probably the most time consuming part, as there's a lot of excess material to be rid of.
Eventually I got each square down to 7.4 millimetres for each plug.
After, I shaved off the little X mark I put on each square to find the center.
Looked like this by the time I shaved it off.
Carved out the shaft, which needed to be only six millimetres.
This also took a lot of patience.
A lot of patience.
Cut it down to size, and smoothed the end off on a fine grit sandpaper.
This is what the unpolished plug looked like. 6mm shaft, 7.4 mm flare.
This is where the fun began.
I sent the plug flying, and my daughter had to go after it.
Looking good- just about ready to go.
One last run on the buffing wheel--
And there she is, ready for wear.
This set we gave an equal flares, so they're also reversible.
I think she likes them.